Philanthropy, Civil Society and AI
June 22, 2023
In this episode we take a deep dive into the opportunities and challenges that artificial intelligence might bring for philanthropy and civil society. Including:
- Why is everyone talking about AI all of a sudden?
- What do we actually mean by "AI"?
- How much of the talk about "AI For Good" is substantive, and how much is hype?
- What are some of the best examples of nonprofits/funders currently making use of AI?
- What impact will the emergence of new AI capabilites around process automation, image recognition, natural language processing, content generation etc have on the way that nonprofits work?
- What are the risks of "naive automation"? Why should make sure that there are still "humans in the loop"?
- How do we guard against the risk of systems like ChatGPT providing false or inaccurate information?
- What lessons can we learn from recent examples of nonprofits using ChatGPT and generative AI badly?
- How will AI affect the wider financial and regulatory environment for CSOs?
- What impact will AI, in the form of recommender algorithms, have on the ways in which we make choices about where and how to give?
- Could we see the emergence of fully automated "philgorithms"?
- How can nonprofits combat the risks of algorithmic bias, both in terms of how it affects them and the people/communities they serve?
- What role can nonprofits play in addressing AI-driven misinformation & disinformation?
- What role does civil society have to play in exploring new visions for a "post-work" future?
- Should we take warnings of existential risks from AI seriously? If so, what does this mean for philanthropy?
- What role should funders/CSOs play in highlighting the potential harms of AI? What barriers prevent them from doing this at present?